Just like with any other type of surgery, there are opportunities for medical malpractice at every stage of a cosmetic procedure. Some of the more common issues that arise from various types of surgery include the following:
- Breast reduction and augmentation: Infection, scarring, blood loss, nerve damage, encapsulation, and asymmetry.
- Facelift: Trouble closing eyes, dry eyes, nerve damage and scarring.
- Liposuction: Nerve damage and numbness, internal bleeding, damage to organs and disfigurement.
- Rhinoplasty: Asymmetry and difficulty breathing.
- Botox: Paralyzed muscles, scars and speech difficulties.
- Dermal filler: Necrosis, blindness, and facial palsy.
In addition to risks associated with particular procedures, any time that a person is put under anesthesia there is a significant risk of injury, including cardiac arrest and brain injuries. Furthermore, with any surgery or procedure, there is always a risk of infection caused by negligence.
Injuries from negligently performed cosmetic procedures can be serious and may be permanent, even for minor treatments such as Botox, often entitled victims to significant compensation.